Rambling around Ramsbury
19th August 2012
We will be walking through the village along the banks of the River Kennet to Littlecote House.
SU 283715 Explorer 157/158
8km 5 miles
Easy, Field paths and established tracks.
We will be dining in Crown and Anchor, RamsburyThe Crown and Anchor, Ramsbury
The Crown and Anchor.
1 Crowood Lane
From Swindon at the Commonhead Roundabout take the 3rd turning (or if from the A419 Southbound 2nd turning ) B4192 signposted Liddington, Aldbourne and Baydon.
Continue on the B4192 through Liddington, over the M4 and through Aldbourne, after 4 miles just past Whittonditch, take a right signposted Ramsbury.
Park up at the Crown and Anchor car park which is on the right down Crowood Lane. SN8 2PT.
The large old village of Ramsbury nestles on a wide stretch of the River Kennet close to the Berkshire border.
Between ad 908 and 1058 Ramsbury was the centre of a flourishing diocese, complete with cathedral and bishop,
before it was transferred to preferred Sherborne and later to Old Sarum.
Built between 1490 and 1520, Littlecote is an exquisite manor house standing amidst spacious lawns and gardens,
with the River Kennet running through the surrounding parkland.